To register online for the next date this class is offered, add course to your shopping cart, then continue with the checkout process. Select the WILL PICK UP AT BE DAZZLED shipping option.
Before registering, please review our online CALENDAR for upcoming, scheduled courses.
After you register, we will send you an email confirmation.
You may also register by phone (615-292-0610) or in-person at Be Dazzled Beads in Nashville.
BEAD WEAVING BASICS
Instructor: Warren Feld
$35.00 fee ($35.00 deposit reserves space)
Additional supplies required (see below); no kit
PROJECT INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AS DOWNLOADS:
ABACUS BRACELET: Instructions Digital Download
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT BRACELET: Instructions Digital Download
CURVY BRACELET: Instructions Digital Download
In this beginning class, we discuss such things as:
(1) SURVEY OF TYPES OF SEED BEADS, WHAT WORKS WHEN, QUALITY ISSUES
- HOW TO THREAD A NEEDLE
- HOW TO WAX YOUR THREAD
- HOW TO ADD A STOP BEADS
- HOW TO PICK UP BEADS WITH YOUR NEEDLE
- HOW TO HOLD YOUR PIECE WHILE WORKING IT
(2) STRINGING MATERIALS AND MANAGING THREAD TENSION
- COLOR EFFECTS OF THREAD
- FINISHING OFF AND ADDING THREAD
(3) BASICS ABOUT WAXES
(4) BASICS ABOUT NEEDLES
(5) ANTICIPATING ISSUES OF MOVEMENT, DRAPE, FLOW and DURABILITY
(6) THE STITCHES: Peyote, Square, Right Angle Weave
- OTHER IMPORTANT STITCHES AND STITCH VARIATIONS TO LEARN
(7) ATTACHING CLASPS
We practice 3 popular bead weaving techniques - Square, Flat Even-Count Peyote, and Right Angle Weave.
We go over instructions for making bracelets using these three stitches.
Students begin one of the three projects during class.
SKILL LEVEL REQUIRED:
This course is a beginner, introductory core course.
ORIENTATION TO BEADS AND JEWELRY FINDINGS
(All students are required to begin our curriculum with this ORIENTATION CLASS. The Orientation Class is offered once a month.)
To empower the beginning bead weaver with management and control insights about selecting materials, learning the pros and cons of different bead weaving stitches, and implementing three popular stitch techniques - Square, Peyote and Right Angle Weave.
- Learn how to select beads, threads and waxes
- Threading a needle
- Waxing thread
- Using stop beads
- Finishing off threads and adding new threads
- Exercises involving the square stitch, the peyote stitch and the right angle weave stitch
- Attaching a clasp
In addition, instructions for 3 bracelet projects are provided, one of which may be begun during the class.
ABACUS BRACELET (Square Stitch)
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT BRACELET (Peyote)
CURVY BRACELET (Right Angle Weave)
- Understanding the choices involved in selecting beads and threads, waxes
- Understanding how different stitches enhance/impede movement, drape and flow
- How to end and add thread
- How to attach a clasp
- Square stitch, Peyote Stitch and Right Angle Weave stitch techniques
COLOR A: Size 10/0 delica beads (1 tube, any color)
COLOR B: Size 8/0 seed beads (1 tube, any color that coordinates or contrasts with color D)
COLOR C: size 6/0 seed beads (1 tube, any color that coordinates or contrasts with color D, and is the same or coordinates with color B)
COLOR D: 3mm Cube beads (1 tube, any color)
COLOR E: 11/0 seed beads (1 tube, any color that coordinates with Color A)
Size #12 English beading needles (2 neeles)
Size #10 English beading needles (2 needles)
Bees Wax (or micryocrystalline wax)
Nymo Thread, size D, Black (1 bobbin)
Fireline, Size D (.008")_, smoke gray (1 50yd spool)
Provided in class:
bracelet sizing cone
Bic lighter or thread zapper
Other useful tools to have on hand:
chain nose pliers
This class is typically offered once every other month.
VIEW OUR CALENDAR SCHEDULE ONLINE.
When registering online, select the WILL PICK UP AT BE DAZZLED shipping option.